Earth Notes: 16WW Electricity Usage Manual Snapshot (2022-08)Updated 2023-07-30.
I may add more detail of (and link to) the research once it has concluded, or at least until I am unlikely to prejudice it by referencing it!
I was asked to keep a manual record of my electricity use for four or five days. Major items such as laundry and cooking and dishwashing were key.
Electricity data was originally intended to be logged by a clamp on the incoming supply, but my Enphase battery system would defeat that by attempting to balance such flows. And the PV would confuse things further!
So instead I am supplying a fragment of Enphase data for the five days, at 15-minute resolution, including a computed 'consumption' subset, which backs out the effect of batteries and PV.
The data looks like (the first few lines):
Date/Time,Energy Produced (Wh),Energy Consumed (Wh),Exported to Grid (Wh),Imported from Grid (Wh),Stored in batteries (Wh),Discharged from batteries (Wh) 2022-08-01 00:00:00 +0100,0,18,0,0,0,18 2022-08-01 00:15:00 +0100,0,24,0,0,0,24 2022-08-01 00:30:00 +0100,0,18,0,0,0,18 2022-08-01 00:45:00 +0100,0,12,0,0,0,12
I am also including a by-hour summary of Eddi PV diversion to pick out that significant chunk of (asynchronous automated) consumption. There was no 'boost' during this time, only diversion. The relevant diversion consumption in kWh is the
Collected by running then trimming:
% sh script/myenergi/eddiDaySummary.sh -byHour -m > data/202208-manual-record/Eddi20220801start.csv
A daily summary is (for 10.8kWh total, an atypically low 2.2kWh/d):
% sh script/myenergi/eddiDaySummary.sh -m #Eddi daily stats summary in kWh; partial if h lt 24 #UTCISOdate,h,h1d,h1b,imp,exp 2022-08-01,24,2.874,0,0.727,9.557 2022-08-02,24,1.489,0,0.813,9.137 2022-08-03,24,0.895,0,0.755,10.743 2022-08-04,24,1.668,0,0.543,9.551 2022-08-05,24,3.894,0,1.225,12.297
Finally, the manual reporting was in a spreadsheet. This mainly recorded my own electrical demands, but also includes some significant loads by others.
In this Monday-to-Friday interval I was working from home Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. The rest of the family was away from Monday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon.
Data elements supplied in the data directory:
- Manual reporting (
- Enphase report [Energy Consumption] (
- Eddi report covering PV diversion to DHW [
Note that times in the Eddi report are UTC/GMT, others are local time (BST).
- 16WW Electricity Use Snapshot 2022-08
- Manual record and metered samples of electricity usage at 16WW from 2022-08-01 to 2022-08-05 inclusive.
- electricity, consumption, manual, self-reported, metered, Enphase, Eddi, August, 2022, London, UK
- variable measured
- date created
- date published
- date modified
- temporal coverage
- spatial coverage
- UK centre 51.406696N,-0.288789E elevation 16m
- directory of manual record spreadsheet, and automated consumption records (CSV) from Enphase battery system and Eddi PV diversion
- canonical URL
- this descriptive text with markup
- is part of
- 16WW Dataset
- this dataset is licensed under CC0, ie it is effectively public domain; if you make use of this data, attribution is welcome but not obligatory
- is accessible for free