Earth Notes: 16WW Energy Systems DiagramsUpdated 2023-06-06.
- Previous off-grid solar, wind and storage systems.
- Low Voltage Dropout (LVD) and other peripheral systems.
Not in this page:
- Data collected by these systems: see the energy series dataset.
- Devices run off these systems, eg see: On Setting Up a Raspberry Pi 3 Off-grid Server.
Note that extensive logging and processing of real-time and historic data from all energy subsystems is performed on Raspberry Pis.
Current Grid-tie Solar PV System
Read more on the (first round of the) installation.
The electrical schematic (circuit diagram) for first 1.29kWp (2008).
The electrical schematic (circuit diagram) at expansion to 3.87kWp (2009).
The electrical schematic (circuit diagram) at expansion to 5.16kWp (2010).
Enphase Storage System
Read about the Enphase AC Battery Grid-connected Storage in Our UK Home then Enphase AC Battery #2 then #3 and #4.
Eddi PV Diverter and Thermino Heat Battery
Read more on the Thermino heat battery installation.
Note that the Eddi and Thermino are partly managed remotely as of 2022-08 via Raspberry Pis to:
- Provide overnight boost to the Thermino when grid intensity is low.
- Pause diversion/boost in any minute when grid frequency is low.
Current Off-grid Solar PV System
Off-grid system notes:
- The top set of panels at the west of house may be missing ~40W amorphous, ie should be 2Wp (amorphous) + 40Wp (amorphous) + 60Wp (multijunction).
- The RPi2 is powered via an efficient hard-wired car USB adaptor (previously a stand-alone switching regulator), stepping the 12V down to 5V, with short leads to help handle demand spikes.
- 2021-09-03: the battery was replaced with a 220Ah Victron.
- 2022-09-09: 13:00Z: 100Wp panel was connected to the PWM side via a Schottky blocking diode.
Note that the Internet router is powered from the mains via a (12V) adaptor, which also has a 5V USB output for example. That adaptor also has a 12V-nominal input from the off-grid system, but preferentially uses 240V mains. When the off-grid system is in a good state, a 'dump' signal from the RPi disconnects mains from the adaptor with a relay, forcing the adaptor to draw from off-grid and act as a dump load. Thus the off-grid system acts as a huge UPS for the router too. The adaptor has driven more loads than the router. All recent 16WW routers have been 12V supply at ~1A; far more hungry than my MacBook Air as of 2023.
As of there is a 'merit order' of grid-tied PV generation use, best first:
- Direct consumption in the house.
- Absorption by the Enphase AC-coupled battery up to kW/kWh capacity (~1/~5).
- Power-limited spill to grid (up to ~400W).
- Diversion to Sunamp Thermino heat battery up to kW/kWh capacity (~3/~7).
- Spill to grid.