Earth Notes: Smart Radiator Valves - EcoHome Lab (2020-11-12)Updated 2021-03-18 21:12 GMT.
A talk to Manchester Carbon Co-op virtual meeting about Radbot. #cutCarbon #Radbot #TRV
My presentation (~17 minutes) brutally extracted from the live Zoom meeting video of the larger smart radiator valves meeting (thanks Matt of Carbon Co-op) without top or tail!
Slide Text Content
- What problem is being solved?
- What is the solution? Does it work? What about the rest?
- Some history
- Where we are now: SAP, GHG, ECO3
- How does it work?
- Secrets for devs
Problem: Climate Change, Space Heating
- Carbon emissions contribute to climate change
- In UK ~10%+ of all carbon emissions from domestic space heating
- Maybe 50% of that is unnecessary
- One huge source of waste: heating empty rooms, eg bedrooms during day
- Another: complex / expensive controls that fox users
- Not everyone has reliable always-on Internet
Solution: Soft Zoning, Radbot
- Treat each room/rad/TRV as a soft heating ‘zone’
- Set back temperature when vacant and likely to be so for next hour or so
- Set back further when more sure, preheat when occupancy predicted
- DON’T require programming or connectivity or attention
- (Reasonable evidence that autonomous measures persist better)
- Occupancy detection is driven by light (in various ways), use of controls and other things (development continues).
- Size of temperature setback is risk-weighted.
- ~2009 David MacKay discussions re SEWTHA
- At DECC, what was best carbon bang for buck?
- Late 2012 meeting, home heating incl zoning good
- 2013 OpenTRV project
- 2018 Vestemi commercialisation to try to reach >>1bn rads!
- Tests (Energy House) and trials (ROWR and ECO): yes, it works
- Sales, sales, sales (every Radbot can save ~0.1tCO2/y)
- Cost reduction, continuous improvement (h/w and datasci
SAP, GHG, ECO3: Alphabet Soup!
- Where would we be without TLAs and ETLAs? B^>
- Industry awards and key accreditation… SAP
- Standard Assessment Procedure for home Energy Performance Certificate
- SAP score allows use under Green Homes Grant
- Coming: Energy Company Obligation deemed scores for ECO3 programme
How Does It Work?
- Just like a mechanical TRV, simple display, dial clicks
- Plus boost button!
- Occupancy/vacancy detection
- Prediction and ‘usual at this time’ 7-day-ish memory
- Sensors: light, temperature, humidity, use of controls
- Outputs: motor valve control (+haptics!), LED, radio
- Some patent-pending cleverness too...
- 60% savings in bedrooms, up to 30% realistic in suitable homes
Some Secrets for Devs and Tinkerers!
- Radbot 2 exposes serial connection (4800 baud, 8n1) for CLI
- Key and ID can be set via the CLI (Command Line Interface)
- JSON stats receivable by OpenTRV stats hub and boiler controller
- 8 years in the making: in stock!
- Ready for Green Homes Grant and ECO3
- Aim is to save megatonnes of CO2, affordably and simply
- Also aim to help reduce fuel poverty
- Supports tinkering
Get in touch, buy Radbots, cut carbon!
- Damon Hart-Davis
It was a good evening with some familiar faces, about 16 people present, from around the UK.
Download PDF slides for the talk.
1039s "EcoHomeLab talk local audio" Uploaded . Download mono MP3 clip 5897kB.